April 19th, 2023
Oral cancer is a cancer that affects your mouth - it can develop in many places including the gums, tongue and lips. An esitimated 50,000 new cases of oral cancer are diagnosed each year. As oral health care specialists, oral cancer is an extremely important topic for us, as we are usually the first to detect any problems in the mouth! While the majority of cases occur in adults, it's not completely uncommon for children to be diagnosed as well.
Early detection is key! Here at East Valley Children's Dentistry, Dr. Norman and Dr. Cat take great care to make sure that each patient is receives an oral cancer screening at each check up.
Here are the most common signs and symptoms to keep an eye out for at home:
- Sores that haven't healed within 10 days
- Any soft tissue that is rough, crusting, or thickening
- Flat patches of tissue that may be red, white, or speckled
- If you child tells you that part of their mouth feels numb
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing or moving their tongue
As always, our family here at East Valley is here for you to help answer any questions or concerns you may have!
Please help us in raising awareness regarding the importance of oral cancer this month!